Sunday, September 03, 2006

Myopia

Now, I've ranted about my dear college , which recently regained its prestigious position in India Today's top ten engineering colleges. Hurrah. If you remember, we are up there cos of our placements.

So here's my tryst with what makes my college a sought after destination.

I had decided to sit for core companies only. Which translated to Bajaj Auto being the first company I was looking at. They sucked. They corrected our test papers by re-circulating the answer sheets amongst those present and rcalled out the answers. They were the pits, and I wasn't interested in working for a company that doesn't care how i hires its future.

So anyway, I wasn't selected, and the next day I sit for TATA motors. Now this is the dream company for mech, provided GE doesnt hire (and they didn't). They have this online test and it was hard. Managed to get through, did well relatively. Then they had a Group Discussion in which I hardly said much, still got through. Then two rounds of interview.

Wait, I didn't get to the second round! In the middle of the first one they realise I have myopia beyond their medical norms. So they apologize and kick me out!!!!!

I even asked them if they'd take me if I got an MTech and directly started working in a Lab. No siree, I'd never clear their medical test.

Well, to cut a long story short, there was a possibility of LASIK, so they called me back and re-did my interview and ave me the job. But it was too late, I had already made other plans as soon as they booted me the first time. Plus they said something to the effect that I could go through the remaining interviews if I intended to get it done. WTF? I can't tell you that NOW for crying out loud. Then they extended the time frame for my surgery. Great, thanks a lot guys.

So anyway I have a 'job', sort of. Just have to shine a coherent bunch of beams down into they 'ol eyeball and I get 5.3 lakhs a year. Not bad, huh? Well anyway it was a fun experience.
Especially the night after :), but that's another story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home