Tuesday, December 27, 2005

To Beer or not to Beer

Aditya, a guy from school, contacted me through hi5, and since I'm in town, invited me for his birthday treat yesterday. So I land up at the Tavern, Museum Inn, and end up meeting a lot of guys from school.

Now the place has horrible air conditioning. Seasoned men beside me are complaining about the smoke. I was ok, maybe cos of the contacts, but later on my eyes burnt too. Some VTU guy must have designed the place.

Conversation is easy.... we catch up. There's a guy Amit who is all kicked about quitiing engineering mid-way and taking up a diploma in Sound Engineering. He was really rubbing it in. You do realise that by now 95% of us curse the day we took it. I admire what he did, truly.

So they order a pitcher and the forces of peer pressure(a small bit) and curiosity ( actually a product of peer pressure: 'One should try everything at least once', I just realised) make me accept a mug. It's bitter. I don't know how they like this. It's an acquired taste they say. Oh well.

Anyway the easy conversation mainly revolves around girls, dope, loaned jackets and the beefed up Traffic Police Force looking out for drunk drivers this holiday week. All this in a hazy pub sipping a bitter drink. And I sometimes wish I had joined Ramaiah. Ok even if I didn't pub-hop.... I'd have chased girls instead. What a change.

So I very slowly sip my drink, some more friends walk in, they are all shocked to see me: first of all its been two and a half years, secondly I'M in a pub!!! They ask me about Surathkal... some ask me whether there's any place to hang out in that wilderness, other's ask me about the major dope scene there, and their brightly lit eyes fade when I say not much really happens. Well the truth is I don't know.... I think some people do, but I don't know.

This goes on till around ten thirty. My Mom calls.... 'When are you coming home?' 'In a while' 'Where are you?' 'M.G.Road' 'In a Pub?'
Oh Shit.... well, I didn't want to lie.... pretty funny, done that a lot, but at that moment I didn't want to. How on EARTH did she pick that one question? Well I said I was, and she said drive home carefully, don't speed.

So I stay for another hour.... someone has finished of the remaining half of my beer. I'm happy, I was woried it'd go to waste. Apparently the alcohol test passes the content corresponding to one mug. I had no clue how it works for a guy drinking for the first time, so I thought half a mug is enough. Plus, I didn't like the taste!

They order one last pitcher. half the guys had left earlier... I should have too, but I haven't seen these guys for so long. Funny, I didn't chat much with them.... They hung out together regularily, had the same expeiences and attitudes. In a way I was a mute observer. But still It was good to see 'em. Anyway I left then... said my goodbyes and all.

Came home stinking of cigarette smoke to an upset Mom.... next morning Mom and Dad gave me a lecture. They had a cousin, the brightest in their generation, died on the street at 29 due to liver failure. Another Uncle started wasting away his life sitting around and boozing.

I wanted to tell them that I'm not stupid, I asked eveyone before I started about how much gets you tipsy and all that... I was just curious and no it wasn't peer pressure. No use. But then they are my parents.... they don't want to see me follow the other cases of alcoholism. The mere possibility probably gave Mom a sleepless night yesterday. It ended in a promise not to drink again, and an appreciation of the fact that I was honest with them.
I guess they are right.... many who are just curious end up addicted. You can't tell.... and I certainly don't want to risk it. There is a seductive charm to the idea of catching up with friends over a beer, I certainly had a romantic notion of that, which was dispelled. I just found it too bitter!

In hindsight, I guess if this is to be my one time only taste of beer, I should have at least gotten sloshed! never mind the taste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home